There are three things Andrea wishes she could tell to her younger sister Jamie: "I love you, I miss you, I'm sorry." But Jamie is gone; she drowned in the river two years ago. Her body was never recovered. Ever since, Andrea is struggling to get her life back on track and keep her family that started to drift apart after Jamie's death intact. Even though everyone keeps telling Andrea that it was not her fault, because Jamie sneaked out to the river without permission and attendance, Andrea can't escape the feeling that she let her sister down. Day by day, her guilt grows. She'd give everything to see Jamie once again. And one day she does. Jamie's restless young soul returns to experience everything her early departure robed her of. Andrea is torn; she knows that it can't be real, but strange things happen when Jamie is around. She desperately holds on to the memory of Jamie, and it makes it impossible for Jamie to leave. The only person before whom Jamie has no power over Andrea is a friend Andrea acquired during her long walks along the river. When eventually Jamie finds her rest, almost pulling Andrea with her into death, he is gone too. Brokenhearted, Andrea would come to terms with the fact that Jamie was a product of her tortured mind. But can she be so sure about him?


The Black Butterfly, for lack of better word, can be labelled as a psychological thriller with a paranormal edge to it (but just a slight one. In fact, it's on you to decide whether it is really paranormal or just a tweak of a disturbed mind). 

The Black Butterfly is emotionally the most demanding story I've ever attempted to write. Probably that's why it takes so long, and why I find it so hard to finish it. I keep postponing the climax, because frankly, I don't know how it's going to work out. In the process of writing it, even thinking about it, I have learned so much, not only about my characters, but about myself, and many things I thought were buried too deep to hurt any more had to be uncovered again. It's about dealing with the death of a beloved person (in TBB, a younger sister), about the ensuing sorrow and guilt for not doing better or being there to prevent it. Though there is not much action on the outside, the real trouble with making this story work is capturing the turmoil in Andrea's heart and mind. In order to do that I had to go back to each time I lost someone I loved.Of course it's not easy. My journals and other writings from these times have been useful, but they transform to another state of mind that I tried very hard to overcome. Being in that world for too long scares me, and that is the reason why TBB is being in the works for such a long time.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home